Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mango Mousse Cake

Last Friday, we went to the Filipino grocery store to get our weekly "Asian" groceries. I got half kilo of Philippine Mangoes because I use it  to make my California Maki. Ang half kilo ay 3pcs lang hehehe..quite expensive ~ SAR30.00 (330.00 pesos/kg)
I used one of the 3pcs for my Maki while the rest I used it to make my Mango Mousse Cake. This is actually my first time to make this, and honestly, sponge cake palang panalo na!
I got the recipe from a fellow Pinoy. Check out her website: Kusina ni Manang for the recipe.


SPONGE CAKE RECIPE

A) Meringue
Whip up until firm but soft peaks form:
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar ( I omitted this)
1/4 c white sugar
Set this aside and prepare the batter.

(B) Liquid Ingredients

Beat until creamy yellow:
2 egg yolks
1/8 c white sugar

Then beat in the following:
1/2 Tsp vanilla essence + 1/4 tsp McCormick mango extract   (I omitted this) 
1/4 cup milk 
2 tbsp of vegetable oil

Then mix in the dry ingredients.


Dry Ingredients (Sift together before adding to the liquid ingredients)
1/2 c + 2 tbsp cake flour (1/2 c will do as well; I tried both)
1/8 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp baking powder

Once batter is ready, fold in the meringue.

Bake at preheated oven 325ºF for 30 minutes.

Test for doneness, invert, and cool completely on a rack for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pan. 

(Note: If you do not invert, the middle of the cake immediately sinks in as the cake cools off and contracts. Inverting the pan while cooling prevents sinking.)



MANGO MOUSSE RECIPE


1 packet gelatine powder 
in 1/4 cup cold water

Let sit for 1 minute.

Meantime, puree 1 mango.

Heat gelatine mixture by 10-second increments (2x to 3 x) in microwave and mix to fully dissolve gelatine powder. When gelatine powder is fully dissolved, fold into mango puree. 

Add 1/4 cup condensed milk ( I dded Nestle Cream for a creamier taste) . Set aside.

Get the chilled bowl and whisk and start whipping 1 cup heavy cream.
When foamy, add 3 tbsp powdered sugar. Keep whipping these ingredients until cream is fully whipped. 

Fold the whipped cream into the mango-gelatine mixture.

Mango bits:
Roughly chop 1 mango flesh. Fold this into mango mousse. 


ASSEMBLY

Cut the cake in half. Place half of the cake at the bottome of a springform pan

Put half of the mango mousse on top of bottom cake layer and distribute well over and to the sides. 

Repeat with the other cake layer.


Note:
My mousse didn't set because the whipping cream wasn't cold when i whipped it. Still, it turned out delish! It tasted like an ice cream cake hehehe. The sponge cake tasted like "Goldilocks mamon".
Next time, I will double the sponge cake recipe for a fluffier cake.

** I don't have CAKE FLOUR available. I used substitution instead**

1 cup cake flour = 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour + 2tbsp Cornflour/cornstarch

1 comment:

  1. uy ang sarap naman nyan! it's late here now eto naglaway pa tuloy ako hehehe how i miss our own mangoessss :) nice cake by the way. i like the way you describe it ice cream cake! panalo! basta mango MASARAP!

    ReplyDelete