Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Marshmallow Fondant

I am impressed and truly fascinated with 3d cake and cupcake toppers. They look so beautiful and it gives a special look to a simple cake/cupcake.
I read and researched online on how to make a fondant (using marshmallows) before I jumped into the wagon. I was really hesitant at first but later on decided that I should really give it a shot. There are so many online sources where you can get recipes and tips on how to make MMF (Marshmallow Fondant). I got mine from Bake Happy, although I made some revisions here and there to finally come up with a good MMF  considering weather conditions here in the Kingdom plus the marshmallow brand that I used. Btw, I only used half of the recipe.
So, here we go!

Ingredients:
1/2 kilo Powdered sugar/confectioner's sugar/icing sugar
250 grams marshmallows
1tbsp water
Cornstarch





 Procedure:
1. Grease a big microwavable bowl with shortening. Add your Mallows then add water. Depending on the brand of your Mallows, initially microwave it for 2 minutes at 30 seconds interval. But I tell you, for me, it took more than that. So I microwaved it for an addt'l 1 more minute with 30 seconds interval (still didn't melt) I added 30 seconds more (with 10seconds interval) Now, the mallows are soft but turning brownish and still not melted (compared to baker's happy melted mallows) I stopped from here and I just mixed it with a greased spatula.



2. Grease working area with shortening then sift the flour.


4. Make a well and dump your mallows. Be careful because it is still hot! See the color of my mallows?? It's a bit brownish. Using a scraper, let the mallow and sugar come together.

5. Once it is starting to come together, grease you hands and start kneading. Add more sugar when it is still sticky. As for me, I didn't finish the whole icing sugar in the recipe. Like what baker happy mentioned in her blog, you can either use less or more icing sugar based on the weather.
At this point you can add color to your fondant. When finished, dust it with cornstarch for a smoother surface then cover with clear plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.



Note:

  • I tried using the MMF few hours after i made it.Oh boy! mind you, it was still quite soft. The best time to use it is a day AFTER it has been made or longer for the sugar and mallows to be well incorporated.And that will make the fondant more sturdy enough for you to create figurines etc.


Here are some of the cupcake toppers that I made. Honestly, it wasn't easy as I thought it would be. It takes a lot of patience, creativity and God given talent to create such a beautiful and detailed designs. So, please bear with my very novice looking fondant toppers. I am still learning *wink*

 Hello Kitty

 Bag

 Buzz Bee..Spot the difference

 Another bee with white wings this time

 Kerokerokerropi

Only Hello Kitty's head ended up as a cupcake topper




No comments:

Post a Comment