Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Coffee Bun

Coffee Bun can really be addictive, but with its price???  I would rather get a burger meal from MC Donald's although I would still buy it when my cravings arises hehehe. We have here in Riyadh,  Pappa Roti
Yesterday, I was really thinking of what to bake. Abdul doens't like sweets (desserts) anymore..maybe for this month hehehe. I was thinking of baking a bread. I tried baking ensaymada before but I failed..sad! The bun ended up like "monay"..its texture and the taste.
I tried baking coffee bun this time, I researched through the internet for the recipe and the procedure. Unfortunately, I do not have bread flour so I used All Purpose Flour which they say can substitute it. I made couple of mistakes while making it but Abdul and the kids liked it.
This recipe is copied from  BELZY'S KITCHEN


Roti Boy (Coffee Bun)

Ingredients:
Filling:

200g butter (softened)
1 tsp coffee mixture (1/2 tsp granulated coffee dissolve with 1/2 tsp water)
70g brown sugar

Topping:
100 gr butter
80 gr icing sugar
80 gr beaten eggs (2 small eggs)
2 tsp granulated coffee dissolve with 2 tsp water
100 gr plain flour

Bun:
500 gr bread flour
2 sachets (@7gr) active dry yeast
35 gr granulated sugar
25 gr dry milk powder
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
50 ml evaporated milk
175 ml water
1/2 tsp salt
75 gr unsalted butter 

Methods:
For the filling: 

Using an electric mixer beat the butter and brown sugar until light and pale until the sugar totally dissolved. Add in the coffee mixture for the final beating. Place the mixture into the fridge until it harden. Divide the harden mixture into 10 portions and sit in the fridge until ready to use.

For the toppings:
Beat the softened butter with icing sugar until everything well combine. Gradually add in beaten eggs then the coffee mixture. Add in pinch of cinnamon powder with the flour and beat until everything well incorporate. Place the mixture into a piping bag and keep in the fridge until ready to use.

For the buns:
In a mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients until well mixed. Add in egg, egg yolk, evaporated milk and water. Knead with hook attachment over speed 2. When the dough become a smooth dough add in salt and butter and continue the kneading process until the dough become smooth and elastic but not sticky. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk. 
Pinch dough to let the air out. Divide the dough into 12 little doughs, shape it into balls. Fill it with the butter filling. Seal it tightly. Place each doughs on a greased baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches space between each one to avoid sticking to each other during the baking. Cover the doughs with cling film and proof for 50 - 60 minutes.
Before baking time, pipe out the toppings in a spiral start from the top center of each buns. Then, bake it for 12 minutes at 400F preheated oven.


**Note:**

  • Since I like my Coffee Bun to taste more like Pappa Roti, I would add more sugar to the bun and topping next time. Also, I would used a stronger taste of coffee into it. If not available, I would double the amount of the coffee ingredient.
  • I also need a heavy duty stand mixer to properly knead my dough. My existing mixer cannot perform its function very well that is why I ended up having a grainy dough and not a smooth one.
  • I need more time to let the dough rise and not be in a hurry to bake it hehehe.
  • More milk should be added so the bun would be softer and fluffier. I would also look for a bread flour instead of APF and see if it will make a difference.
  • I should've tap the dough flat for it to cook evenly.









No comments:

Post a Comment