Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Decorated Sugar Cookies: Whale, Squirrel & Hibiscus Flower


Rania officially started her formal education last Saturday. She is now in Kindergarten!
 *teary eyes* I know it's a cliche to say "Time flies so fast", but it really does. 
I remember telling her the story on how  I gave birth to her. The first time she opened her eyes and the first time she said "Mommy". Now, she is a "big girl" as we call her and also a school girl for that matter. Cycle of LIFE  **deep breath**
She did very well on her first week, although language is the major adjustment for her because she neither speak nor understand Arabic. But I do hope and pray that she will
learn the language eventually.
Back to my baking *hahaha* I made sugar cookies today to give out to her teachers and
classmates. I made 3 batches of sugar cookies..Whale, Flower and Squirrel.
I used my sugar cookie recipe as seen HERE
I got this marbling technique from Glorious Treats. You can check out her site for more beautiful decorated cookies.




  1. Using an outline consistency (17-20seconds rule) outline the shape. Let it dry for 30minutes to an hour.
  2. Using a flooding consistency, flood your cookie.
  3. Since this is a "wet on wet" technique, pipe another circle using either the same color as the outline or use a different one.
  4. Using a toothpick, drag a portion from the outside edge of the piped circle toward center.
  5. Pipe a small circle in the middle.


 I used  Joy of Baking Royal Icing Recipe with little modification.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups icing/powder sugar
  • 3 tablespoons (30 grams) meringue powder
  • 1/2 - 3/4 cup (120 - 180 ml) warm water




 Procedure: 

  1. In the bowl of a hand mixer or an electric mixer, mix and beat the icing sugar and meringue powder until combined. Add 1/2 a cup of water and beat on medium to high speed until stiff peak and glossy.
  2. For outlining, use thicker consistency (17-20 second rule) you can add more water or more icing sugar to achieve right consistency. To flood, use a thinner consistency, the icing should create a ribbon as it falls back into the bowl. 
  3. At this time, you can divide your royal icing and add food coloring ( I used gel food color from Wilton)
  4. Make sure to  cover up your royal icing  with a cling film or better yet a damp towel as this will prevent the royal icing from drying, crusting and hardening.






1 comment:

  1. Great cookies! i am impressed with your creativity ang tyaga mo mag-design hehehe. This is really good idea for giveaways miryenda ng mga bata. I show it to Bibingclara she said she wants the whale, squirrel and flower naku i have to work with the icings too. I will try doing these beautiful cookies next time sana mag-success :)

    ReplyDelete